Gotsu is a side dish usually prepared for Idli, Upma and Ven-pongal. This is made with onion, mixed vegetables like carrot, brinjal, potato and with some lentils and spices. Gotsu is served in marriages also as a side dish. Gotsu is prepared little watery to eat snacks comfortably. Gotsu is more suitable with snacks to make it as a balanced food as lentils and vegetables with less oil are in Gotsu and snacks have the necessary carbohydrates.
Different variants of Gotsu are available from home to home. Here is a Gotsu I generally prepare for Rice Upma .
Serves: 4 to 5
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
- Split green gram (paasi paruppu) – ⅓ cup
- Carrot – 1 no
- Potato – 1 no
- Small brinjal (eggplant) – 5 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 2 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Coriander leaves – few
- For dry grinding
- Coriander seeds – 1 table spoon
- Bengal gram – 1 table spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Coconut – 2 pieces
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 1 no
- Asafetida powder – pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Peel and chop onion, potato and carrot; chop green chilli, tomato, brinjal and some curry leaves.
- Take washed green gram in a cooker, add all chopped items, add one cup of water, add a pinch of turmeric powder and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Dry roast the items given for dry grinding, powder it coarsely, and keep.
- Now mash the pressure cooked items in the cooker partially; do the seasoning in a pan, add pressure cooked items, two cups of water and salt; mix well and bring to boil; adjust salt and water consistency.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well; add roasted dry powder, mix well without any lumps.
- Let it boil for few seconds and then remove.
- Serve hot with Idli, Dosa, Upma.
- Use seasonal vegetables to make gotsu a simple dish.