Kuzhi Paniyaram is a traditional south Indian dish. During my childhood, I have seen some of my friends bringing kuzhi paniyarams in lunch box. I started liking it while sharing my lunch with my friends. It was very rarely prepared at my home. Now when I make kuzhi paniyarams, I could understand the reason why it was not prepared at my home often. As it is time consuming to prepare, it may not be convenient to prepare in large numbers for a family with more members.
Kuzhi Paniyaram can be made as a nutritious children’s favorite dish by adding vegetables and lentils. As children eat very less quantity of food, we have to ensure that maximum nutrients are available in that less quantity.
Here is Vegetable Kuzhi Paniyaram prepared with rice, urad dal and some veggies. I mixed vegetables in Idli/Dosa batter to cook this.
- Idli/dosa batter – 2 cup
- Capsicum chopped – ½ cup
- Carrot chopped – ⅓ cup
- For seasoning
- Onion chopped – 1 table spoon
- Green chilli chopped – 1 no (optional)
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Bengal gram dal – 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 tea spoon (for seasoning and for greasing the paniyaram mould)
- Do the seasoning and mix it in the idli/dosa batter; add chopped carrot, capsicum in the batter and mix well.
- Heat paniyaram mould, grease it and then pour the batter in the mould; as the paniyaram gets cooked, it starts leaving the sides.
- Turn and cook the other side also; remove and repeat this process for the remaining batter also.
- Vegetable Kuzhi Paniyarams are ready. Serve hot with any chutney.
Here is the cutaway section of Vegetable Kuzhi Paniyaram.
- Cook in low flame to get better results.
- You can add any other suitable vegetable also.
This post is part of the event “Kid’s Delight – Wholesome Breakfast” hosted by Srivalli of Spice Your Life.