Oats is the best breakfast cereal and highly recommended by doctors. Oats is very light and easy to cook. It is rich in dietary fiber and antioxidants, which help to protect from heart problems and diabetes. Oatmeal is made of whole grains, which stabilizes our blood sugar and prevents from cardio vascular diseases. Due to its nutritive value, it has more health-promoting activity than fruits and vegetables.
Here I have prepared a broth/stew using vegetables and oatmeal. It contains lot of vegetables and very little oil. Hot steaming bowl of broth when taken in morning, keeps you active whole day.
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes.
- Oatmeal – 1½ cup
- American sweet corn – ½ cup
- Beans chopped – ½ cup
- Carrot chopped – ½ cup
- Cauliflower cut in to pieces – 1 cup
- Cucumber chopped – ½ cup
- Green peas – ½ cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Mint and coriander leaves – few
- Water – 6 to 7 cups
- Cooking oil – 2 tea spoon
- Butter – ½ tea spoon (optional)
- Green chilli slit– 1 (optional)
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
- Pepper powder – ½ tea spoon
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
Quantity of items shown above in italics can be varied as per your taste and choice.
- Wash and chop the vegetables.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil and butter; add onion, chilli and fry till onion is transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste, mint & coriander leaves, fry for few seconds; add all dry masalas, then all vegetables and fry for 3 minutes till raw smell of vegetables goes.
- Add milk, water and mix well; add oats, salt mix well; close with lid and keep for one whistle.
- After steam vents out, open the lid, mix well, adjust water consistency as required.
- Serve hot. As it contains more vegetables, good to eat and healthy also.
- You can also cook this dish in a pan with the same quantity of water.
- Types of vegetables can be varied as per taste and choice.
This post is part of WYF:Breakfast Event organized by Simple Indian Food Blog.