Cooking time: approximately 45 minutes
- Basmati rice – 4 cups
- Carrot chopped – 1 cup
- Green peas – 1 cup
- Cauliflower chopped – 1 cup
- Beans chopped – 1 cup
- Potato chopped – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 no chopped
- Cooking oil – 1/2 cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Lemon juice – 1 table spoon
- For grinding
- Onion – one big
- Tomato – two no
- Ginger piece – 2 inch long
- Garlic – 10 pods
- Green chilli long – 3 no
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon – 3 x 1 inch long piece
- Cloves – 5 no
- Cardamom – 3 no
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 2 table spoon
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 15 minutes.
- Grind items given for grinding into coarse masala paste.
- Place a pressure cooker in the gas stove.
- Pour oil and when oil is hot, add chopped onion and fry till red in colour in low flame.
- Add masala paste, salt and fry till oil separates from the mix.
- Add all chopped vegetables and fry for 5 minutes.
- Drain water from soaked rice, add with the mix and stir carefully till rice gets fried.
- Now add 6 cups of water, lemon juice and stir well.
- Close the cooker with lid and when steam comes out, place the weight, slow down flame and keep for 5 minutes only.
- Open after 15 minutes, stir carefully without breaking the cooked rice.
- Serve hot.
- do not over soak rice and drain well before frying
- stir rice gently while cooking
Pachadi or Raitha suits well to vegetable pulao.