Here is a vegetable soup using rice starch. Usually I cook rice in pressure cooker and for a change I cooked it in a pan. I did not want to drain and waste the rice starch (excess water that is left while boiling rice). We call this rice starch as Kanji in Tamil.
In my childhood I used to drink this rice starch or kanji with salt. This contains most of the rice nutrients. I prepared a simple soup with rice starch that was so tasty, filling and energetic to me. This contains many vegetables in addition to rice starch.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Finely chopped vegetables carrot, cabbage, beans and fresh peas – 5 cup
- Rice starch or kanji – 5 cup
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Green chilli cut in to big pieces – 2 no
- Ginger chopped – 1 table spoon
- Garlic chopped – 1 table spoon
- Black pepper powder – 1 tea spoon (adjust as per your taste)
- Corn flour – 1 table spoon
- Milk – 2 table spoon
- Coriander leaves – few
- Low fat butter – 1 table spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Heat a pan with low fat butter; add chopped onion, garlic, ginger, green chilli and fry them for few seconds just to remove raw small; then add all vegetables, salt and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water; boil vegetables till soft; now mix corn flour in milk and add in rice starch; mix well and add in the pan; boil it for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Add pepper powder and coriander leaves.
- Hot Vegetable Soup with Rice Starch is ready. Serve hot with bread or pav.
- Avoid over cooking of vegetables.
- Keep soy sauce/tomato sauce/chili sauce to mix with soup as per individuals taste while serving.