Usili is a traditional dish of Tamil Nadu prepared with lentils and vegetable. Usili can be prepared with beans, cluster beans, cabbage, okra and so on. My elder sister does it nicely and I adopted this yummy recipe from her.
Here is Vendakkai (Okra/Bhindi) Usili using okra and Bengal gram, toor dal as major ingredients.
Okra is known as Vendakkai in Tamil and as Bhindi in Hindi. Dal is known as Paruppu in Tamil.
- Vendaikai (okra) – 250 gram
- Bengal gram – ½ cup
- Toor dal – ½ cup
- Red chilli – 6 no
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Asafortida powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard –½ tea spoon
- Urad dal –½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Soak Bengal gram and toor dal for one hour; drain and grind it with turmeric powder, red chilli, asafoetida, salt to a coarse paste.
- Stream cook it like we do for idlis; cool it and crumble it nicely.
- Wash and cut okras into small pieces; heat a pan with 1 table spoon of oil; add okra pieces, salt, red chilli powder.
- Fry till okra is crisp and cooked (I cooked it in microwave oven in full power for 2 minutes and then fried it to reduce oil consumption).
- Now do the seasoning in a pan, add crumbled steam cooked dals, okra and fry in low flame for 5 minutes or till both mix together.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Use tender vendakkai (okra).