Here is Vendakkai (Okra) Kootu as a side dish for Rice or Chapatti.
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Vendakkai (okra) – 250 gm
- Toor dal – ½ cup
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 2 no
- Green chilli – 2
- Grated coconut – 1 table spoon (optional)
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Cumin seed – ½ tea spoon
- Aniseed – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 1 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – pinch
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Boil toor dal in a cooker to soft; wash and cut vendakkai into one inch long pieces; chop onion, tomato, green chilli, and curry leaves.
- Heat a pan, do the seasoning; add onion, green chilli and fry till onion is soft; add tomato and fry.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chilli, coriander powder and mix well; add vendakkai and fry for few minutes; stir in between and cook till okra and tomato are cooked soft; now add boiled toor dal and grated coconut; if needed add some water and adjust salt and consistency; bring to boil and keep for a minute.
- Remove and serve hot with rice or chappati.
- Vendakkai should not be over cooked to avoid stickiness; this is the reason for adding it after tomato.