Neem flower has medicinal value. In Tamil Nadu, sundried neem flower is used to prepare flavored rice. It is very good for health, specially to cure stomach dis-orders. This Veppambu Sadam (Seasoned Rice with Neem Flower) tastes nice when hot.
Neem flower is known as Veppambu in Tamil. Cooked rice is known as sadam in Tamil.
Here is the fresh neem flower and the sundried neem flower.
- Cooked rice – 3 cup
- Cleaned and dried neem flower – ½ to ¾ cup
- Cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Pepper powder – ½ tea spoon
- Chopped pearl onion – 1 table spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Ghee or oil – 1 table spoon
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; then add chopped onion.
- Fry till light brown in colour; now add neem flower, salt; fry in moderate flame for few seconds or till the neem flower is crisp (do not over-fry and blacken it).
- Add cumin powder, pepper powder; mix well, fry for few seconds and then remove; add steamed rice.
- Mix well; now Veppambu Sadam (Seasoned Rice with Neem Flower) is ready.
- Serve immediately with papad or any veggie.