Hunger and Food are the two sides of the same coin. We need food when we are hungry. Unfortunately there are many people who don’t get food when they are hungry. Hunger still remains as the unsolved mystery worldwide despite technological developments.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is part of the United Nations and is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
Some information on WFP and hunger available from WFP are:
- WFP’s five objectives are:
- Save lives and protect livelihoods in emergencies
- Prepare for emergencies
- Restore and rebuild lives after emergencies
- Reduce chronic hunger and under nutrition everywhere
- Strengthen the capacity of countries to reduce hunger
- Developing countries have most of the people who live in hunger.
- It is shocking to know that there are around 1.02 billion hungry people in the world and 915 million of them are in developing countries.
- Hungry people are
- 642 million in Asia and the Pacific
- 265 million in Sub-Saharan Africa
- 53 million in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 42 million in the Near East and North Africa
View Hunger Map 2009 from WFP for more details.
For more information on hunger, log on to World Food Programme.